Ever looked at someone’s Instagram or Facebook feed and wondered how the hell are they managing to travel without privilege? I have, so many times and this was during high school all the way to 1st year of my profession. How does one just get up and go to a different country and a week later they are leaving again. It is very possible.
You see then, I had no idea about savings. In the black community, especially South Africa, you are never taught to save. When it happens is because you are lucky that you grew up around people who knew the importance of saving; a family member is in banking or investment and they teach you to invest in small things at a young age. For the rest of us unfortunately, you realise when you are in your 30’s that you could have saved close to a Million if you did not buy bunny chow everyday for 10 years.
Here are the many ways you can afford a R10 000 trip within 6 months:
- Draw a budget for every single month and stick to it.
- When going grocery shopping, stick to the things on the list. We tend to walk out of the store with more things not on the list than the ones on the list, so avoid that.
- Instead of getting your hair done every month, get yourself a wig. It will last you longer than paying 600+ every month for a hairstyle that lasts you 2 weeks.
- Buying in bulk helps. All the hygiene stuff, don’t buy them one-by-one.
- Focus on one debt at a time. Trying to pay off everything at once will not help you.
- Instead of incurring interest on your debt, make a payment arrangement.
- Eat at home everyday instead of take outs.
- Buy sale items. Always compare prices. I know it is annoying and tedious but you want to travel right! So get on with it and make it a habit.
- Instead of a girl’s night out, call your girls to your house or go to theirs and drink at home instead of VIP section and transport costs plus expensive bottles, not to mention dressing up and wasting make-up.
- If you are in a relationship, you and your partner need to sit down and focus on the most important debts first and leave the little ones a bit.
In this case, you will find yourself saving more than you planned to save because not only are you stingy, but you are taking care of your financial health.
Or maybe just go with this style of saving below:
Where to compare flights and packages:
Below is a video I took when I visited the Netherlands. Hope you enjoy it after pondering this travel saving plan.